Saturday, August 14, 2010

We're Home!

I'll put the pictures first. :)


Our wonderful Social Worker, Walter's Omma, and Walter before the prayer.


Nap time in our room. He loves his tiger pillow.


First supper together.


Having fun running at LAX airport with Dad.


Henry waiting with his cousins at the airport.


Too sweet. Henry and the "Welcome Home" sign he helped make.


Meeting some cousins and friends.


Henry and Walter taking a look at each other.


Already enjoying Grandma Berg's sandbakkels.




We finally spent our first full day at our house as a family of four. We spent the last few days in Seoul shopping and visiting a few places that we wanted to see. On Wednesday morning we made a few stops in Sinchon and near Ewha Women's University, had lunch and then headed back to our room to get ready for our last meeting.

We headed down to the first floor a little early - there came a certain point when I couldn't stand waiting in our room anymore. Our Social Worker showed us to the room and then came back with Walter and his foster mom. Once again, we could hear him running down the hall! I won't go into all the details, but Wednesday was a very emotional day. How do you thank the incredible woman who has loved and raised your child for over a year, knowing the day would come when she would have to say goodbye?

After Dr. Kim said a prayer for Walter and the other children leaving that day, we hugged Walter's foster mom and he was placed in our arms.

We were thankful to have one night with him before we flew out on Thursday. He took a good nap and enjoyed a dinner of bananas and soup with noodles. We headed out to dinner around 7:30 and Walter enjoyed the walk, too. He loves trying to go up and down stairs - I might be getting into better shape quickly!

Our plane left on Thursday afternoon from Seoul. Walter spent some time crying on the flight, but we were impressed with how well he did. We went through customs in LAX and then headed to Minneapolis. He slept almost the entire flight, which made for an easy flight but we were anxious to land!

It was wonderful to finally be home and see Henry and our friends and family! We drove home last night (Friday) and are trying to get into a normal sleep schedule. Henry and Walter are also adjusting. They had a great time chasing each other around the house and porch tonight after dinner. We went for a nice walk and read some bedtime stories together. Walter's favorite thing so far has been throwing a ball to Gus (Megan's dog) - he squeals every time Gus goes after the ball. He also loves imitating Henry. Henry's not so sure what he thinks of this yet. :) I left home, thw mom of one, thinking my three year old was a little boy and got off an airplane one week later and realized that he was much older than I realized! How did that happen? I'm convinced he grew taller and got older in one week...and now we have 2 boys to watch grow!!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Ammermanns! I love the picture of the four of you. I also love hearing about the things Walter is enjoying like Henry and Gus. We are praying for your family during this time of transition and so thankfully you are all finally together!!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete